Gwendelyn Geidel, Ph.D., J.D.
Director, Environment and Sustainability Program
Research Professor, School of the Earth, Ocean, and Environment
and Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences
Undergraduate Director, School of the Earth, Ocean, and Environment
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
EWS 603 / PSC 108
Prediction, prevention and remediation of ground and surface water contamination caused by mining and other anthropogenic disturbances of the earth’s surface. Examples include investigations of rock-water interactions from mining activities (including both coal and metal mining in the US and Canada), the degradation of water quality from the oxidation of sulfide minerals, laboratory evaluation of acid and alkaline potentials from rock strata, field investigations of the long term effects of mining, and the implementation at field sites of constructed wetlands, anoxic limestone drains, alkaline trenches and other remediation and reclamation technologies.
J.D. School of Law, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, 1989
Ph.D. Geology, University of South Carolina, College of Science and Mathematics,
M.S. Geology, University of South Carolina, College of Science and Mathematics;
B.S. cum laude, Geology, University of South Carolina, 1974
- 2012 - Present,
Director, Environment and Sustainability Program, ), College of Arts and Science (CAS), Univ. of South Carolina (USC), Columbia, SC.
- 2006 - 2012 - Assistant Director, Environment and Sustainability Program (formerly SOE)
- 2009- present, School of the Earth, Ocean and Environment, Undergraduate Director, CAS, USC
- 2001-present Research Professor of Geology, Dept of Earth and Ocean Science, USC, Columbia, SC
- 1997-2006 Assistant Dean (’97-’01) & Associate Dean (2001-’06), School of the Environment (SOE), USC,
- 1993-2001 Research Associate Professor of Geology, USC
- 1989-1995 Attorney & Of Counsel, Woodward, Leventis, Unger, Daves, Herdon & Cothran, Columbia, SC
- 1987 Law Clerk, South Carolina Water Resources Commission, Columbia, SC
- 1983-1987 Research Assistant Professor of Geology, USC
- 1979-1983 Research Specialist, Department of Geology, USC
SYNERGISTIC ACTIVITIES, SELECT:
Panel Member US Environmental Protection Agency, Science Advisory Board Panel for Mountaintop Mining and Aquatic Ecosystems. 2010-2011
Chair Environmental Education Committee of SC Governor Hodges’ Interagency Council on Natural
Resources Policy. 2000 – 2002. Developed the draft SC Environmental Education Plan
Panel Member National Science Foundation, pre-proposal and proposal reviewer. 2004, 2005, 2006
Group Leader- Coal Mining (1996-present) and Metal Mining Steering Committee member (1998-
1999): Acid Drainage Technology Initiative, National joint effort sponsored by EPA, DOI-Office of Surface Mining, Interstate Mining Compact Commission and National Mining Association. ADTI is comprised of government, industry and university representatives who, on a national level, are charged with formulating guidelines and methodologies related to mine water quality. http://www.unr.edu/mines/adti/index.htm
Member (Vice-Chairman, 1991-1992); Environmental Planning Advisory Committee of the
Central Midlands Council of Governments, Columbia, SC, 1991-present.
Chairman Midlands Summit 1990 Solid Waste Task Force, 1990-1991.
Member Hungary Groundwater Workshop Team, Environmental Law Institute, Washington, DC, 1990. Team met with government officials and scientists from Hungary to evaluate the state of groundwater contamination in Hungary, discuss the laws and policies which may be effective in reclaiming the resource, and to develop a workshop given in Hungary, 1990.
Member West Virginia Acid Mine Drainage Technical Advisory Committee, 1981-1985.
- Council of Environmental Deans and Directors
- American Society for Mining and Reclamation (ASMR) (http://www.asmr.us/ )
2012-Present, Associate Editor, Journal of ASMR
2011- Co-Chair, Water Management Technical Division
2008 - present, Memorial Scholarship Committee
- Association of Environmental Science and Studies
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society (Secretary-Treasurer of USC Chapter, 1983-1986)
- International Assoc. of Geochemistry and Cosmochemistry
- ci American Bar Association, Section on Natural Resources
Richard and Lela Barnhisel Researcher of the Year Award from the American Society of Mining and Reclamation. June 2012
Teacher of the Month Award, Patterson Hall, USC, Spring 2003
Order of Wig and Robe, 1989
Member of Sigma Xi, 1976
Member of Phi Beta Kappa, 1974
Registered Professional Geologist of State of South Carolina
Member of South Carolina Bar
MOST RELEVANT PUBLICATIONS
1)“Comparison of Hydrologic Characteristics from Two Differently Reclaimed Tailings Ponds; Graves Mountain, Lincolnton, GA ,” G. Geidel., 2012, in press, Journal of Amer. Soc. of Mining and Reclamation, Ed. R. Barnhisel, Lexington, KY.
2) “Guidelines and Recommendations for the Use of Kinetic Tests for Coal Mining (AMD) Prediction in the
Eastern U.S.,” Chapter 5 of Prediction of Water Quality at Surface Coal Mines, Edited by R.L.P.
Kleinmann, Nat’l Mine Land Recl. Center, WVU, Morgantown, WV (G. Geidel, F. Caruccio, R.
Hornberger and K. Brady) (2000).
3) “Geochemical Factors Affecting Coal Mine Drainage Quality,” Chapter 5 of Reclamation of Drastically
Disturbed Lands, 2nd Ed., American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WI (G. Geidel, F. Caruccio)
4) “Reclamation of Kyanite Mine Tailings with Surface Reconfiguration,” G. Geidel, F. Caruccio and R.
Dotson., Amer. Soc. of Surface Mining and Reclamation, August 1999, Scottsdale, AZ; in
Proceedings of…, Lexington, KY. pp. 198-207 (1999).
5) “Handbook on Remediation and Avoidance Technologies, Acid Drainage Technology Initiative,” Co-
Editor, WV Nat’l Mine Land Recl. Center, Morgantown, WV (1998).
6) “Status Report: Long Term Effects of Alkaline Trenches and Funnels at the Mercer Site,” G. Geidel, WV
Surface Mine Drainage Task Force Symposium, April 1995, Morgantown, WV; in Proceedings of...,
WV Mining and Reclamation Assoc., Charleston, WV (1995).
7) “Overburden Analyses; Some Important Factors, G. Geidel, F. Caruccio and W. Bradham. WV Surface
Mine Drainage Task Force Symposium, April 1993, Morgantown, WV, paper appears in
Proceedings of ...,” WV Mining and Reclamation Assoc., Charleston, WV (1993).
8) “Pyritic Materials: Acid Drainage, Soil Acidity, and Liming, Chapter of Reclamation of Surface-Mined
Lands,” G. Geidel, F. Caruccio and L. Hossner, Vol. 1, CRC Press, Inc., Boca Raton, FL (1988).
9) “Evaluation of Surface Application of Limestone for Controlling Acid Mine Discharges from Abandoned
Strip Mines: Sewellsville, Ohio,” G. Geidel, F. Caruccio. EPA-600/2-84-004, National Tech. Info.
Service, Springfield, VA, (1984).
(Total Publications: exceed 45)
For a memorial to Frank T. Caruccio, please link to the journal Mine Water and the Environment: http://www.springerlink.com/content/l514u448v1740633/fulltext.pdf
or the following PDF file: INWJ_memorial.pdf